Your browser does not support accepted Web standards. This site has been redesigned to meet Section 508 accessibility standards for persons with disabilities and to meet W3C recommendations for forward compatibility. If you are using an older browser (Netscape or IE 4.x and older), the site layout will not display correctly. However, all pertinent information should still be viewable. To better view this site, please download a browser that complies with Web standards. For upgrade information, visit []. Comments or questions? Email [].

Skip directly to: Content, Search Box, Main Navigation

Academic Forgiveness

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education policy provides for ways that, under certain circumstances, enable students to recover from academic problems. Students may seek academic forgiveness by utilizing the following institutional procedures:

  1. Repeated Courses
    Students may repeat courses and have only the second grade earned, even if lower than the first grade, count in the calculation of the retention/graduation grade point average (GPA). Students may repeat up to a maximum of four courses, not to exceed 18 hours, in which the original grade earned was a "D" or "F."

  2. Academic Reprieve
    Academic reprieve is a provision allowing students who have experienced extraordinary circumstances to disregard up to two semesters in the calculation of the retention/graduation GPA. Students may request academic reprieve from Oklahoma State System of Higher Education (public) institutions with academic reprieve policies consistent with these guidelines.

  3. Academic Renewal
    Academic renewal is a provision allowing students who have had academic trouble in the past and who have been out of higher education for a number of years to recover without penalty and have a fresh start. Under academic renewal, coursework taken prior to a date specified by the institution is not counted in the retention/graduation GPA.

For more information about academic forgiveness, contact your college or university academic advisor or email