This summer, middle and high school students can experience life on a college campus while exploring exciting and varied fields of study at the free 2021 Summer Academies in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
STEM Summer Academies, sponsored by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, are open to rising eighth- through 12th-graders. Each academy explores the latest trends in science, technology, engineering and math through fun, hands-on activities and innovative software as students experiment both in the classroom and outdoors. Many academies also include field trips to some of the state’s top companies, science facilities and museums.
The academies will be offered at 17 of Oklahoma’s college and university campus locations in May, June and July. Twenty-two different academies will be offered statewide and will last from five days to two weeks. Some academies require students to live in the campus residence halls, while others require that students travel to and from campus each day.
“Oklahoma students in middle school and high school have the opportunity to experience a college campus environment while exploring careers in the STEM fields during our free STEM Summer Academies,” said Chancellor Glen D. Johnson. “They study with top college and university professors and experience hands-on learning in STEM fields beyond traditional classroom settings. We’ve learned that STEM Summer Academies participants are more likely to attend college, require less remediation and are more likely to earn their college degrees than students who did not attend a Summer Academy.”
Applications are now being accepted for the academies, and many have deadlines. Because the academies are free and enrollment is limited, students are encouraged to apply early. To qualify, students must be entering eighth through 12th grade this fall. Officials emphasize the academies are designed to give all students an opportunity to increase their interest and confidence in science, technology, engineering and math and, ultimately, expand their career and educational aspirations to go on to college when they graduate high school.
Academy descriptions and contact information are available at www.okhighered.org/summer-academies. Students can also get information from their school counselors or by calling (800) 858-1840.
Please note that Summer Academies offerings are subject to change. For the latest information, please visit www.okhighered.org/summer-academies.
Academies offered this summer include:
Cameron University, Lawton
- Engineering and Applied Mathematics Summer Academy, June 5-11 (Grades 9-12)
East Central University, Ada
- Molecules of Nature, May 31-June 4 (Grades 8-9)
- Explorations in Computer Science and Robotics, June 6-11 (Grades 8-12)
Langston University, Langston
- Intensive Academy for Math, Science and Technology, May 30-June 12 (Grades 10-12)
Murray State College, Ardmore and Tishomingo
- Exploring Biotechnology, June 21-26 (Ardmore campus) and July 12-17 (Tishomingo campus) (Grades 8-9)
Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College, Miami
- E.D.U.C.A.T.E. M.E: Exceptional Direction United in Culture, Academics, Technology, and Excitement in Medical Education, June 13-18, (Grades 9-10)
Northeastern State University, Broken Arrow and Tahlequah
- RACE to Space With NASA, June 7-11 (Tahlequah campus) (Grades 8-12)
- Get Green for Blue: Outdoor STEM Investigations Connecting Water to You, June 21-24 (Broken Arrow campus)
- RACE Around the World, June 21-25 (Broken Arrow campus) (Grades 8-12)
Oklahoma Panhandle State University
- Panhandle Protégés, July 11-23 (Grades 9-10)
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater
- It’s a Polymer Life: Polymers of Everyday Life Summer Academy, June 28-July 2 (Grades 10-12)
Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology, Okmulgee
- Emerging and Converging Technologies Academy, June 1-5 (Grades 8-10)
Seminole State College
- Engineering and Construction Management, July 18-23 (Grades 11-12)
- Peek Into Engineering, July 18-23 (Grades 9-12)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University, Durant
- PI-STEM Summer Academy, July 19-23 (Grades 8-9)
Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford
- Summer Science and Mathematics Academy, June 6-18 (Grades 10-12)
University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond
- ESTEEM-Builder for Emerging Careers: A High School Summer Academy, July 30- August 4 (Grades 11-12)
- The Engineering Workshop Academy: Session I, June 7-11 (Grades 8-10)
- The Engineering Workshop Academy: Session II, June 14-18 (Grades 8-10)
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, Chickasha
- Where Does Our Food Come From and How Did It Get There?: Session I, June 14-18 (Grades 8-9)
- Where Does Our Food Come From and How Did It Get There?: Session II, June 21-25 (Grades 8-9)
The University of Tulsa
- Technology Education and Collaborative (TEC) Academy, June 21-26 (Grades 8-9)
- The Ultimate Technology, Engineering and Cryptography (U-TEC) Academy, July 6-10 (Grades 8-9)
Summer Engineering Academy, July 12-16 (Grades 8-12).